Sunday, May 8, 2011

Reflections on Mother's Day

Mother's Day changed for me 4 years ago.  My mother passed away in April 2007, and that first Mother's Day without her was unbearable for me.  And I had "mommy guilt" on top of it; my children wanted to do something for me, but I was inconsolable.  As time passes, it's gotten easier.  For me though, Mother's Day is still a day when I take some time to reflect and remember my mother. 


I found a few quotes that I thought I would share today: 
  • "A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."  ~Washington Irving
  • "Grown don't mean nothing to a mother.  A child is a child.  They get bigger, older, but grown?  What's that suppose to mean?  In my heart it don't mean a thing."  ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987
  • "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman existed, but the mother, never.  A mother is something absolutely new."  ~Rajneesh
  • "The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men - from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms."  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
I hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Day!
 
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails